Saturday, January 26, 2013

Week Four - Create Art....

Wow, create art. Am I an artist?  That took some time to think. When I think artist, I think paintings, sculptures, and such. But I am not any of these.

At Dictionary. com, Art is defined as:

art


noun
1.
the quality, production, expressionor realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2.
the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.  See fine artcommercial art.
3.
a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
4.
the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
5.
any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art;industrial art.

 Where do I fit into that???  I think I will choose number 1.  To me any art is an expression of someones thoughts. Those of us who make jewelry "create art". Using clay, wood, stones, glass and more are our art medias. We use them to create. We step out of our boxes, try something new, embrace new techniques...

So to me, we are ALL artist. Even if you sew, crochet, knit, needlework, paint, design.......you are an artist. You have create something for all to see.

So now I'll step off my box and show you something I "created" for a challenge. I had had the pieces sitting on my work space for quite a while and wasn't quite sure what I was going to do. But then...the pieces began to speak to me.....I had an image in my mind, and just started putting the pieces together.

 Here you have the finished product. The extra beading around the edges and the fringe were new techniques I was trying. I keep it on my work desk shelf front and center so that I can look at and remember, let the pieces talk. They know better than me!
 A few more of my "art" pieces are shown here. This one was  a challenge about Fairy Tales...
 This piece was done based on the colors and birds. You can see the birds on top of the white beads. This was the first time I had used a scarf or any other media of this type.
 Again I was working a challenge, and came up with this piece. It is my "Blue Mermaid"
 This is my most current one. I used a focal bead from White Raven Creations on etsy, and 5 glass head pins created by Rodney Mace at Fire forged Studio on etsy.  Since I can't do glass and I wanted to promote other "artist" I went to etsy and chose these two pieces. I have another one I am working on also that has a tiny cardinal hand felted by Leanne Pendleton from Got Crow Creations on etsy.
This was a fun pieces I did just to see how those pompoms would work.  As you can see they worked just fine!!!! I love looking at this piece, to me it is colorful, playful, eclectic, and out of the box. The pompoms are itchy if you wear it against the skin, but on top of a turtle neck I think it would be great!








I have many more fun colorful pieces I have done. I think of myself as eclectic. I have always wanted to dance to a different tune than everyone else. Making jewelry and challenges are my dance to a different tune outlet.

Thanks for listening!

For more "artful" people, jump over to Sally's site! The Studio Sublime

>52 week badge

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use a scarf in lieu of say ribbon or chain! This is such a colorful array of art pieces this morning - so glad to see that you have been inspired to create such beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a uniquely YOU collection of works~ such a wide creative vision you have, Vera! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pieces! It's always interesting to see peoples interpretation of a challenge.

    (I'm #41 this week)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how wonderful Vera. I thought about what to put on my business cards when I first started doing shows. Smaller shows with a variety of vendors. I thought geez will people think I'm full of myself if I put Artist on it. Then I remembered what matters is what I think about it - first. So I made my business cards with my name and just beneath, it says: Polymer Artist. with capitals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice variety of pretty pieces! I especially like the mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful creations. I love how each one is so different. What a wonderful range of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are each very unique and beautiful...proof that you are an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on creating art.The necklace with the birds is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, eclectic vision you have! My favorite is the bird/scarf necklace. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your colorful interpretation of the materials that surround you. The nice thing about being an artist is that we all interpret art In our own unique way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fairy tale necklace...I need to make my daughter one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. VeraLynne, what a gorgeous mix of color!! I love the idea to use a scarf instead of a ribbon, VERY clever!! Beautiful works of art!

    ReplyDelete